Saturday, April 7, 2007

New Britain Museum of American Art

New Britain Museum of American Art
New Britain, Connecticut
April 4, 2007


Today was a rainy day - perfect for a museum! I took the fifteen-twenty minute ride up to New Britain to finally visit this little museum I have heard so much about. I was absolutely surprised at the size, the beauty, the wonderful artwork, and the park-like setting.

I did use the auto-tour handset at this museum. There are various pieces throughout the building that will give you further history of the artist and their art. I received only a map and no literature from the receptionist and was surprised that she did not ask if I was a student (don't I look like one?). I asked for the student rate and she had to check my ID. HA! No problem. I dug it out and saved 2 bucks! I did not have a chance to visit the gift shop, unfortunately, as I stayed until closing and missed it. I will go back another time though and definitely check it out.










This is the entrance to the museum from the Lobby. I love the glass doors - nice touch. It gives me a little glimpse of what is to come and I can't wait to meander around that distant corner...



The museum was full of sculptures of various mediums. I love sculpting very much and can appreciate the effort it takes to make such masterpieces. I enjoyed all the sculptures, classic and modern.




<~~~Maxfield Parrish (click on photo to enlarge)






<~~~Statue of Benjamin Franklin






The museum had a wide variety of mediums and they were all around eye-level for close inspection. I thought the museum was well laid out and had a natural flow. The natural light from the windows, the wall and floor colors, and the lighting above the art had a pleasing, feel that illuminated everything with a rich, golden hue. The space felt clean, warm, and welcoming. There was such a great array of artists and a large number of pieces in an uncluttered space. They have done an excellent job.


























This is the rear of the b
uilding, another beautiful surprise!









now for the piece I've been waiting to show you....

The Cycle of Terror and Tragedy: September 11, 2001
2002-2006
by Graydon Parrish

I hope I can do this work of art justice. I have to tell you that I was struggling to decide which piece of art (there were so many) to concentrate on when I rounded the corner and this quite literally took my breath away (it is 8' x 18'). I did not realize the meaning/importance of it right away; but was struck first by the vivid color, depth, and obvious bizarre image. I looked longer, closer, and read the wall plaques and was so intrigued by this artist and this piece.




The artist is a man named Graydon Parrish (coincidentally, my maiden name). He is from Tyler, Texas and attended the Dallas Arts Magnet School. He studied art at the Richard Lack Atelier in Minneapolis as well as the New York Academy of Art and Amherst College.


This piece was commissioned by/for the New Britain Museum of American Art to commemorate the events of 9/11/01 and has become the "holy grail" of Classic Realism (some websites also describe Parrish's work as Modern Realism and Neo-Realism). You must see this painting in the museum when you go - it is fantastic! Sit on the bench and have a look from there, then stand and kneel up close and really check out the incredible detail.



Please follow these links to read some fascinating information on Mr. Parrish. I have detailed some of the information on him; however, these websites have photos of some of his other works and a few photos of this piece being painted. I encourage you to read them:

http://www.sandstead.com/images/artists/parrish/parrish.htm

NPR Story on Graydon:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6638786

He is speaking at 5pm on Saturday, April 14, 2007 at Amherst College!
https://cms.amherst.edu/alumni/networks/affinity_groups/lgbtq_alumni
If I wasn't going to the MET in NYC the day before, I would definitely attend! I am going to have to do some research to find out where else I can hear him speak.

I also was a little dismayed to find this description on the net: The painting relies heavily on symbolism and comes with a four-page pamphlet describing the contents of the painting (e.g. a burning US Constitution, a faded Statue of Liberty). I need to contact the museum and ask why I didn't receive one! That surely would have been a tremendous help in explaining some of the symbolism of the painting for my blog!!

Here, I edited the color in Picasa for drama - double click and view the original size - pretty dramatic!


































PLEASE DOUBLE CLICK EACH TO READ DETAIL
(Don't skip this, it is very important to read these! I would have transcribed on the blog, but each is lengthy - easier to double-click!)


























So now we should start looking more closely at this painting. First, it is oil on canvas. Parrish is classically trained, so the detail on the figures is outstanding (look at the knees, the feet, the faces - excellent!). The papers have words and phrases from the Constitution. Notice the burning steel remains of the twin towers in the background.

The children in blindfolds represents blindness in the face of future tragedy (and perhaps innocence?). Why the blue blindfolds on the first two (a boy and a girl) and red on the third (a boy)?


This image is symbolic of the crucified martyr. I am curious if the burgundy/maroon color is symbolic in Islam or the Middle East. This could be a stretch, but I found on Wikipedia: The color green has a special place in Islam. It is used in the decoration of mosques, the bindings of Qur'ans, the silken covers for the graves of Sufi saints, and in the flags of various Muslim countries.
The color green has been associated with Islam for many centuries. It is not clear why this is so. Some say green was
Muhammad’s favorite color and that he wore a green cloak and turban. Others believe that it symbolizes nature and life, hence the physical manifestation of God. In the Qur'an {Surah 18:31), it is said that the inhabitants of paradise will wear green garments of fine silk. While the reference to the Qur'an is verifiable, it is not clear if other explanations are reliable or mere folklore. Regardless of its origins, the color green has been considered especially Islamic for centuries. Crusaders avoided using any green in their coats of arms, so that they could not possibly be mistaken for their Muslim opponents in the heat of battle. (Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_symbols")
Hmmm, maybe they did not wear green the way the real terrorists did not wear their robes on the planes. They blended in by dressing like Westerners.












The women represent the three fates (I found this description on thanasis.com after researching also on Wikipedia: Atropos is said to be the eldest, the best and the shortest of the sisters. Clotho is the "spinner" and Lachesis the apportioner of lot. The thread of life is spun upon Clotho's spindle, measured by the rod of Lachesis and finally snipped by the shears of Atropos, the inevitable one.), essentially: birth, life, and death. They also represent mourners. Two are handcuffed together, symbolizing the tie to an unchosen cause.











Despair and regret? Note the bright torch on the Statue of Liberty behind the girl. What is she doing with her hands - was she reading something?

What is that bottle?


This old man makes me think of the priest who died.





"Twins," blinded by fate and screaming out. Hmmm, why aren't they dressed? Unprepared? Innocence?























Thank you for reading my blog. I really enjoyed the NBMAA and will definitely return (at least for that darn pamphlet!). Please do study the photos and leave your comments/interpretations. I would love to hear what you think!
Beth

7 comments:

Jerry said...

Wow!

Thank you for showing us the Parrish piece in such detail! Having taken the digital photography class, you were well prepared to put those skills to use on this visit... Your photos are great and the enthusiasm you showed both for your visit in general and the Parrish piece in particular is absolutely what this class is about. The rich symbolism fo the 911 canvas opend a door for you to look further into allegorical and symbolic uses of imagery in the future.

Well done!

Jason Somerset said...

Wow Beth, good job. I am headed there next week, but I feel like I have already been there. Cool pictures too.

Christina said...

Beth great work with the pictures love them

Yiovannie said...

I really enjoyed your piece on the September 11th attacks. This piece was a great one even though it took me a while to figure it out. I thought you did a good job!

Richard McCoy said...

Amazing job Beth. I think I am going to rearrange my schedule and take the trip to view Parrish's work in person. You did such a detailed job of describing it that when I visit I know I will be able to get much more. Thank you.

Rich

Emile B. Klein said...

Thank you very much for all the provided info Beth. Very much appreciated

I'm not sure I'm an adult yet said...

do you remember the name of the yellow spot painting?